Leaving your Legacy for the Future
St Andrew’s College Bequest Association Grahamstown Committee:
David Hodgson (Armstrong, 1948) (Chairman); Richard Laing (Mullins, 1959); Lorraine Mullins (Armstrong, 1953); Geoff Antrobus (Espin, 1962); David Mullins (Espin, 1972)
Message from the Bequest Association Chairman
Through various bequest appeals in the past, St Andrew’s College is honoured to have received a number of Bequest pledges and contributions from Old Andreans. As part of the Jubilee 150 celebrations, a number of Old Andreans in Grahamstown and the College Development Office have launched a Bequest Association. The major purpose is to provide more structure and coordination for Old Andreans who intend to leave a bequest to College or Prep in their Will. All existing bequestors are automatically members of the new Bequest Association. We encourage the formation of Bequest Association Committees elsewhere in South Africa and the world.
To make a bequest to College or Prep is to pledge a wonderful gift for the future. It is a tribute of your appreciation. It is a recognition that College and Prep need a steady source of capital investment if they are to continue to thrive as leading South African schools.
Click Here to Print a CODICIL - available for your guidance and the provisions can be incorporated in any subsequent updating of your Will.
What will Bequest funding be used for?
Bequests will build a capital fund whose income will be utilised at the discretion of the St Andrew’s College Council. Bursaries and Scholarships, capital projects, upgrading of infrastructure are the main areas requiring regular financial support. If desired, however, bequestors may select a specific project or allocation.
The benefits of becoming a St Andrew’s College & Prep Bequest Association member
Enjoy the benefits of becoming part of the College and Prep donor family through:
- A strong, long-term relationship with College & Prep
- Attending bequest functions held in your area.
- Receiving regular communication from College & Prep on developments.
- Tax benefits on your Bequest as currently provided by the tax law in your country (see below for details on tax benefits).
- Depending on the level of commitment, naming rights may be requested. A bursary or scholarship in your memory, or a capital project, ensures that your legacy lives on.
What is a Bequest?
A Bequest is an allocation of a portion of your Estate in your Will. It is a posthumous donation for which the giver may enjoy all benefits of being a donor whilst he is still alive. Bequests can be in the form of:
- Policies (e.g. life insurance)
- A percentage of your Estate
Why do I need a Will?
The following are the main advantages of drawing up a Will:
- To direct the distribution of your assets to those you care about most.
- To choose a personal representative (executor) who will oversee the distribution of your assets.
- To provide for family members, friends or relatives according to their needs.
- To provide appropriately for minor children by naming a guardian or establishing a Trust.
- To save considerable estate duties by utilising proper estate planning techniques.
- To provide support for charitable organisations which have special meaning for you.
(South Africa Only)
Estates are currently free of tax duty up to R1.5million. Thereafter Estate Duty is charged at 20%. Any amount left to a recognised charity or to an educational institution, such as St Andrew’s College, is free of Estate Duty and so deducted from the net Estate value.
Please consult your financial advisor should you reside outside South Africa.
Our personal appeal to you
You are part of the Andrean family. You are one of the privileged few that have passed though the College corridors, sung in Chapel, cheered for your House teams, sat on Lower and chanted ‘College, College, College’, felt the mystical emotion of hearing the Pipe band and looking at the Clock Tower, and treasured many friendships with fellow Andreans. College continues to provide these memories. You can help others experience the indescribable feeling of forever being a College boy.
Please use this form if you would like to use your Credit card or Debit card (Visa or Master Card) to make a secure online donation OR if you would like to let us know of your intention to donate by EFT.
(Facility for AMEX and Diners cards is not currently available)
- If you live in the UK, US or Canada and would like to receive tax relief for your donation please donate through your local office.
- This facility uses Virtual Card Services as its secure Web server.
- All information will be held strictly confidential and will not be sold or made available to any third parties.
- If you prefer to use more traditional methods, please download a pledge form and fax it to +27 46 603 2354.
- If you have any questions please contact Angela Southey or phone (046) 603 1521.
I would like to :